Full day experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary; Whole day with Chimpanzees implies more time to the visitor to explore the island and its amazing Chimpanzees. Unlike the half day tour that restricts the visitor to only one feeding session (and from the viewing platform), the full day visit takes in both sessions (morning and afternoon) from 2 different platforms. The morning one from the general viewing platform and the afternoon by the lake shore. The visitor spends the entire time with the care takers that share more about the Chimpanzees and the history of Ngamba Chimpanzee Sanctuary. Exploring other wildlife hideouts by the lake shores plus the visitor getting to know the general life experience at the island are part of the full day package.
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary started in 1998 as a home to the rescued and orphaned Chimpanzees. It is largely a forested island with some small patch of grassland sitting on 100 acres. It was anticipated that such a thick forest would provide a natural environment in which the Chimpanzees would thrive. The Chimpanzees forage with in the forest but their diet is supplemented with fruits and vegetables every day which helps to maintain and improve their health. Therefore, a tour to Ngamba Island is not only for the visitor’s enjoyment but also helps to raise funds to feed the animals. The other beauty in a tour of Ngamba island is that up-close encounter where you even see some things that are not possible in the wild. Request a Quote
Initially, before the outbreak of Covid-19, a full day guest had a choice between experiencing both feeding sessions for the Chimpanzees (morning and afternoon) or engaging in what was called the Caregiver for the day Experience. With this Covid-19 scourge, the Care giver for the day Experience is no longer a possibility at the Island. Well aware that Chimpanzees share 98.7% DNA as humans and therefore susceptible to human diseases, the caregiver for the day experience was suspended. By then, the visitor would fully experience the day-in-the-life of a Chimpanzee caregiver at the island and a primate lover couldn’t just imagine participating in preparing the Chimpanzees food, feeding or even treating them! Currently, the full day guest experience at Ngamba Island involves the following:
- Guided tour around the island for a general life experience at the island.
- Viewing two Chimp feeding sessions (11-11:30am and 2:30-3pm) – morning by the raised platform and and afternoon session by the lake shore which is exclusive to only the full day guests.
- Having more time to interact with professional animal keepers who enthusiastically share more about the chimpanzees.
- Enjoy lunch prepared at the camp restaurant.
- Visit some wildlife hideouts by the lakeshores where you will spot swimming otters, monitor lizards and birds.
- Photography by the lake shores.
- Enjoying the beautiful natural environment.
- Swimming at the Equator on the return journey – to only experienced swimmers.
- Community tour to the local fishermen’s village. This is however optional and comes at a cost of $50.
Program for the Full day visit to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Early morning pick-up from your desired location or hotel and drive to Entebbe waterfront beach from where you catch the boat to the island. You are served breakfast upon arrival at the island and later taken through the different sections of the sanctuary. You will start with the Chimpanzee food store, their clinic and then to the feeding area. The day ends after the second feeding session at 5.PM where you will take a boat back to Entebbe main land. Your driver will be waiting to take you back to the hotel or desired location.
Cost for the full day experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
|No. of people||1||2||3||4||5||6||7 – 9|
|Price-pp in USD||500||450|
Included are return transport to Entebbe, return boat trip to the island, entry fees, the activities mentioned above, lunch,
Excluded are drinks, tips, community tour fee and any other activities/engagements not mentioned above.
Requirements for the full day experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Rain gear since it can rain any time regardless of the season
- Warm clothing for the chilly wind on the speed boat
- Cap/hat to keep your hair intact
- Camera to capture the moments
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
Other Chimpanzee encounters and experiences in Uganda/Rwanda
- Chimpanzee trekking in Uganda
- Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda
- Kyambura Gorge Chimp trekking
- Kalinzu forest Chimpanzee trekking
- Chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest
- Chimpanzee habituation experience
Our Chimpanzee tours in Uganda/Rwanda
- 1 Day Ngamba Island Chimpanzee excursion
- 2 Days Kibale Chimpanzee trekking
- 3 Days Kibale Forest Chimpanzees
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Chimpanzees and wildlife safari
- 3 Days Kibale Chimps, Bigodi wetland and Semuliki hotsprings tour
- 3 Days Kibale Chimpanzees and Queen Elizabeth tour
- 3 Days Murchison falls and Budongo Chimps
- 2 Days Budongo Chimps and top of Murchison falls tour
- 2 Days Chimps and canopy walk in Nyungwe forest, Rwanda
- 5 Days Uganda Gorillas and Chimpanzees.