Request a Quote
The full day visitor experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary gives the visitor more time to explore Ngamba Island and its amazing Chimpanzees besides learning more about them, the history of Ngamba Island and why it came to be selected as a Chimpanzee sanctuary. Plus, the visitor gets the to know the general life experience at the island. This experience is beyond the half day visit to Ngamba Island and not the same as the regular Chimpanzee trekking. Regardless the visitor category (half or full day visitor), a tour to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary gives you that up-close encounter where you are at least able to see some things that are not possible in the wild.
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary started in 1998 as a home to the rescued and orphaned Chimpanzees. It is largely a forested island with some small patch of grassland sitting on 100 acres. It was anticipated that such a thick forest would provide a natural environment in which the Chimpanzees would thrive. The Chimpanzees forage with in the forest but their diet is supplemented with fruits and vegetables every day which helps to maintain and improve their health. Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary is under the management of CSWCT – Chimpanzee Sanctuary and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
Whereas half day visitors are restricted to only one feeding session from the viewing platform, a full day guest enjoys both sessions and from 2 different platforms. The morning one from the general viewing platform and the afternoon by the lake shore. The full day experience is not only for the visitor’s enjoyment but also helps to raise funds for the sanctuary.
Initially, a day guest had a choice between experiencing both feeding sessions for the Chimpanzees (morning and afternoon) or engaging in what was called the Caregiver for the day Experience. With this Covid-19 scourge, the Care giver for the day Experience is no longer a possibility at the Island. Chimpanzees share 98.7% DNA as humans and so are susceptible to human diseases, more so the deadly Covid-19. By then, the visitor would fully experience the day-in-the-life of a Chimpanzee caregiver at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary and a primate lover couldn’t just imagine participating in preparing the Chimpanzees food, feeding or even treating them! Currently, the full day guest experience at Ngamba Island involves the following:
- Guided tour around the island for a general life experience at the island.
- Viewing two Chimp feeding sessions (11-11:30am and 2:30-3pm) – morning by the raised platform and and afternoon session by the lake shore which is exclusive to only the full day guests.
- Having more time to interact with professional animal keepers who enthusiastically share more about the chimpanzees.
- Enjoy lunch prepared at the camp restaurant.
- Visit some wildlife hideouts by the lakeshores where you will spot swimming otters, monitor lizards and birds.
- Photography by the lake shores.
- Enjoying the beautiful natural environment.
- Swimming at the Equator on the return journey – to only experienced swimmers.
- Community tour to the local fishermen’s village. This is however optional and comes at a cost of $50.
Program for the Full day visit to Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
Early morning pick-up from your desired location or hotel and drive to Entebbe waterfront beach from where you catch the boat to the island. You are served breakfast upon arrival at the island and later taken through the different sections of the sanctuary. You will start with the Chimpanzee food store, their clinic and then to the feeding area. The day ends after the second feeding session at 5.PM where you will take a boat back to Entebbe main land. Your driver will be waiting to take you back to the hotel or desired location.
Cost for the full day experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
|No. of people||1||2||3||4||5||6||7 – 9|
|Price-pp in USD||500|
Included are return transport to Entebbe, return boat trip to the island, entry fees, the activities mentioned above, lunch,
Excluded are drinks, tips, community tour fee and any other activities/engagements not mentioned above.
Requirements for the full day experience at Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary
- Rain gear since it can rain any time regardless of the season
- Warm clothing for the chilly wind on the speed boat
- Cap/hat to keep your hair intact
- Camera to capture the moments
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
Other Chimpanzee encounters and experiences in Uganda/Rwanda
- Chimpanzee trekking in Uganda
- Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda, Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Kyambura Gorge Chimp trekking experience
- Kalinzu forest Chimpanzee trekking
- Chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest
- Chimpanzee habituation experience
Our Chimpanzee tours in Uganda/Rwanda
- 1 Day Ngamba Island Chimpanzee excursion
- 2 Days Kibale Chimpanzee trekking
- 3 Days Kibale Forest Chimpanzees
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Chimpanzees and wildlife safari
- 3 Days Kibale Chimps, Bigodi wetland and Semuliki hotsprings tour
- 3 Days Kibale Chimpanzees and Queen Elizabeth tour
- 3 Days Murchison falls and Budongo Chimps
- 2 Days Budongo Chimps and top of Murchison falls tour
- 2 Days Chimps and canopy walk in Nyungwe forest, Rwanda
- 5 Days Uganda Gorillas and Chimpanzees.